Friday 2 September 2011

A Cheap 'n Chic Post ~ Old Polish and No-Buys

Hello!

Firstly, like the lovely Nail Newbie I am on a September no-spend.  So far in my adult life I have somehow managed to let my impulse-buying rage on unchecked, but now I am nearing the end of my very generous overdraft and must conserve money until my student loan comes through, hopefully in a month or so.  So no unnecessary splurging!! 

So far, I have forced myself to resist:
- Dried flower nail decos
- Kleancolor glitters and holos
- A backup of 17's Woo Me just in case they ever discontinue it

And it's only September 1st!

Secondly, I was rummaging around in my wardrobe the other day and came across two very dusty, grubby polish bottles.  The last time I was really into polish was when I was 15, so they must be 8 years old.  They are 17's Temptress - a darkish purple shimmer - and a pearl shimmer polish from The Body Shop, whose bottle informs me that it is "Shade: Balance".  Here they are...


Yup, very grubby.  Yuck!

The pearl polish's consistency was slightly thickened but still very much usable.  The purple, however, did need a few splashes of nail polish remover to thin it, and still applied a bit gloopily.  (I have been told by proper polishers that remover is not a good shortcut for thinning nail polish.  Bad bad Lisa.)  I put two coats of the polishes on a couple of nails each:


You can see that the pearl polish has a nice green-ish shimmer here:


With flash (the purple glimmers so beautifully in this pic):


I get the feeling that the rest of my old polishes were thrown out long ago, but it was nice to find a couple of remnants of my last nail polish obsession!

Hugs,

Lisa xx

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE the purple! Great old find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! If only the consistency were a little better, but I will definitely still be using it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for following my brand new blog! You made my night :D I love finding old nail polishes, it's like a time capsule in your closet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following ya *return the favor and see what oldies I'm sporting?* Srsly though I tried on an old white from Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear and whoah it was THICK!!! I could not get it painted on it was so thick. I totally heart that white, pearly shimmer! Essie is putting out one similar to that in their winter line Luxeffects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck hun, we can do it!
    Hx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I love hearing from fellow polish addicts so comments are most appreciated. Just to let you know that I am unwell some of the time but will try my best to reply xx